Subject: Re: [OMPI users] SLURM environment variables at runtime
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-24 11:20:25

On Feb 24, 2011, at 11:15 AM, Henderson, Brent wrote:

> Note that the parent of the sleep processes is orted and that orted was started by slurmstepd. Unless orted is updating the slurm variables for the children (which is doubtful) then they will not contain the specific settings that I see when I run srun directly.

I'm not sure what you mean by that statement. The orted passes its environment to its children; so whatever the slurm stepd set in the environment for the orted, the children should be getting.

Clearly, something is different here -- maybe we do have a bug -- but as you stated below, why does it work for me? Is SLURM 2.2.x the difference? I don't know.

> Now, the question still is, why does this work for Jeff? :) Is there a way to get orted out of the way so the sleep processes are launched directly by srun?

Yes; see Ralph's prior mail about direct srun support in Open MPI 1.5.x. You lose some functionality / features that way, though.

For corporate legal information go to: