Subject: Re: [OMPI users] What's wrong with this code?
From: Prentice Bisbal (prentice_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-23 11:27:06

Jeff Squyres wrote:
> On Feb 23, 2011, at 9:48 AM, Tim Prince wrote:
>
>>> I agree with your logic, but the problem is where the code containing
>>> the error is coming from - it's comping from a header files that's a
>>> part of Open MPI, which makes me think this is a cmpiler error, since
>>> I'm sure there are plenty of people using the same header file. in their
>>> code.
>>>
>> Are you certain that they all find it necessary to re-define identifiers from that header file, rather than picking parameter names which don't conflict?
>
> Without seeing the code, it sounds like Tim might be right: someone is trying to re-define the MPI_STATUS_SIZE parameter that is being defined by OMPI's mpif-config.h header file. Regardless of include file/initialization ordering (i.e., regardless of whether mpif-config.h is the first or Nth entity to try to set this parameter), user code should never set this parameter value.
>
> Or any symbol that begins with MPI_, for that matter. The entire "MPI_" namespace is reserved for MPI.

I understand that, and I checked the code to make sure the programmer
didn't do anything stupid like that.

The entire code is only a few hundred lines in two different files. In
the entire program, there is only 1 include statement:

include 'mpif.h'

and MPI_STATUS_SIZE appears only once:

integer ierr,istatus(MPI_STATUS_SIZE)

I have limited knowledge of Fortran programming, but based on this, I
don't see how MPI_STATUS_SIZE could be getting overwritten.

--
Prentice