Subject: Re: [OMPI users] RoCE (IBoE) & OpenMPI
From: Michael Shuey (shuey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-18 13:39:59

It's a little different in RoCE. There's no subnet manager, so (as
near as I can tell) you don't really have a subnet ID. Instead, the
GID = GUID + VLAN tag (more or less). gid[0] has special bits in the
VLAN tag section, to indicate that packets relating to this GID don't
get a VLAN tag. Unfortunately, without a VLAN tag, those packets lack
priority bits - meaning they can't be matched to a lossless class on
our Cisco switches.

RoCE HCAs keep a GID table, like normal HCAs. Every time you bring up
a vlan interface, another entry gets automatically added to the table.
 If I select one of these other GIDs, packets get a VLAN tag, and that
contains the necessary priority bits (well, assuming I selected the
right IB service level, which is mapped to the priority tag in the
VLAN header) for the traffic to match a lossless class of service on
the switch.

For this to work, I really need for the IB client to select a
non-default GID. A few test programs included in OFED will do this,
but I'm not sure OpenMPI will. Any thoughts?

--
Mike Shuey