Subject: Re: [OMPI users] RoCE (IBoE) & OpenMPI
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-18 09:30:23

Greetings Mike. I'll answer today because Fri-Sat is the weekend in Israel (i.e., the MPI team at Mellanox won't see this until Sunday).

I don't have a lot of experience with RoCE; do you need a different GUID or a different subnet ID? At least in IB, the GID = GUID + Subnet ID. The GUID should be your unique port ID and the subnet ID is, well, the subnet ID. :-)

Changing either of these in IB is an administrative function, not a user-level function. Meaning: I'm *guessing* that the same is true for RoCE -- changing the subnet ID (which is what I'm further guessing you need to do) should be somewhere in the root-level setup for RoCE. Once you set a different subnet ID, Open MPI should just use it.

On Feb 18, 2011, at 8:17 AM, Michael Shuey wrote:

> I've been looking into OpenMPI's support for RoCE (Mellanox's recent
> Infiniband-over-Ethernet) lately. While it's promising, I've hit a
> snag: RoCE requires lossless ethernet, and on my switches the only way
> to guarantee this is with CoS. RoCE adapters cannot emit CoS priority
> tags unless the client program selects an IB service level and uses a
> non-default GID.
>
> There's a command-line option in OpenMPI to pick an IB SL, but I can't
> find one for picking a different GID. Does this exist for the openib
> btl? Or am I going about this the wrong way?
>
> --
> Mike Shuey

For corporate legal information go to: