Subject: [OMPI users] calling a customized MPI_Allreduce with MPI_PACKED datatype
From: Massimo Cafaro (massimo.cafaro_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-05 12:37:56

Dear all,

in one of my C codes developed using Open MPI v1.4.3 I need to call MPI_Allreduce() passing as sendbuf and recvbuf arguments two MPI_PACKED arrays. The reduction requires my own MPI_User_function that needs to MPI_Unpack() its first and second argument, process them and finally MPI_Pack() the result in the second argument.

I need to use MPI_Pack/MPI_Unpack because I am not able to create a derived datatype, since many data I need to send are dynamically allocated.
However, the code fails at runtime with the following message:

An error occurred in MPI_Unpack
on communicator MPI_COMM_WORLD
MPI_ERR_TRUNCATE: message truncated
MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL (your MPI job will now abort)

I have verified that, after unpacking the data in my own reduction function, all of the data are wrong.
Is this possible in MPI? I did not find anything on the "MPI reference Volume 1" and "Using MPI" that prevents this. This should just require using as datatype MPI_PACKED in MPI_Allreduce() . However, searching on the web I did not find any examples.

Thank you in advance for any clue/suggestions/source code examples.
This is driving me crazy now ;-(

Massimo Cafaro

-

 Massimo Cafaro, Ph.D. Additional affiliations:
 Assistant Professor Euro-Mediterranean Centre for Climate Change
 Dept. of Engineering for Innovation SPACI Consortium
 University of Salento, Lecce, Italy E-mail massimo.cafaro_at_[hidden]
 Via per Monteroni massimo.cafaro_at_[hidden]
 73100 Lecce, Italy cafaro_at_[hidden]
 Voice/Fax +39 0832 297371 cafaro_at_[hidden]
 Web http://sara.unisalento.it/~cafaro