Subject: Re: [OMPI users] OpenMPI version syntax?
From: Gus Correa (gus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-03 10:33:45

Jeffrey A Cummings wrote:
> The context was wrt the OpenMPI version that is bundled with a specific
> version of CentOS Linux which my IT folks are about to install on one of
> our servers. Since the most recent 1.4 stream version is 1.4.3, I'm
> afraid that 1.4-4 is really some variant of 1.4 (i.e., 1.4.0) and hence
> not that new.
>

> From: Jeff Squyres <jsquyres_at_[hidden]>
> To: Open MPI Users <users_at_[hidden]>
> Date: 02/02/2011 07:38 PM
> Subject: Re: [OMPI users] OpenMPI version syntax?
> Sent by: users-bounces_at_[hidden]
>

> On Feb 2, 2011, at 1:44 PM, Jeffrey A Cummings wrote:
>
> > I've encountered a supposed OpenMPI version of 1.4-4. Is the hyphen
> a typo or is this syntax correct and if so what does it mean?
>
> Is this an RPM version number? It's fairly common for RPMs to add "-X"
> at the end of the version number. The "X" indicates the RPM version
> number (i.e., the version number of the packaging -- not the package
> itself).
>
> Open MPI's version number scheme is explained here:
>
> http://www.open-mpi.org/software/ompi/versions/
>
> --
> Jeff Squyres
> jsquyres_at_[hidden]

Jeff (Cummings)

  ompi_info | grep 'Open MPI' should tell,

(*If* you know to which version your ompi_info is pointing to!
Otherwise, use full path.)

Here is yet another reason for installing OpenMPI
from the source tarball
(you'll be 100% sure it is 1.4.3), and put it in a non-system
directory of choice, such as ${HOME}/openmpi/1.4.3.

My two cents (which were not asked for).
Gus Correa