Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Serial Rapid IO plug in ?
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-03 07:54:44

On Feb 3, 2011, at 12:39 AM, Mohamed Husain A.K wrote:

> Is there any plug in support for byte transfer for SRIO

Not to my knowledge.

> if not how to go about with the developement of a plug-in
> The SRIO interface has got a ethernet like encapsulation.

I know very little about SRIO (i.e., I skimmed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RapidIO :-) ). I read that article to mean that SRIO is used within a single compute server. If that's true, is it better to use SRIO directly (vs. shared memory-based communication)? If I'm incorrect and you're using SRIO like a network fabric, then it might be useful to use SRIO for point-to-point MPI communications and see how it does.

I have no idea what the API is for SRIO, but I'm guessing it would be suitable as a Byte Transfer Layer (BTL) plugin for Open MPI. BTLs are the back-end implementations behind the "ob1" plugin for the Point-to-Point Messaging Layer (PML) in Open MPI -- i.e., the back-end behind the MPI semantics for MPI_SEND, MPI_RECV, etc.

There's a few different options for developing new plugins in OMPI -- if I've hit anywhere close to the mark on the above paragraphs, ping us over on the devel list and we can get you started (i.e., developing new plugins is a better topic for the devel list than the general users' list; see http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/ompi.php).

For corporate legal information go to: