Subject: Re: [OMPI users] OpenMPI version syntax?
From: Jeffrey A Cummings (Jeffrey.A.Cummings_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-02 22:35:13

The context was wrt the OpenMPI version that is bundled with a specific
version of CentOS Linux which my IT folks are about to install on one of
our servers. Since the most recent 1.4 stream version is 1.4.3, I'm
afraid that 1.4-4 is really some variant of 1.4 (i.e., 1.4.0) and hence
not that new.

From: Jeff Squyres <jsquyres_at_[hidden]>
To: Open MPI Users <users_at_[hidden]>
Date: 02/02/2011 07:38 PM
Sent by: users-bounces_at_[hidden]

On Feb 2, 2011, at 1:44 PM, Jeffrey A Cummings wrote:

> I've encountered a supposed OpenMPI version of 1.4-4. Is the hyphen a
typo or is this syntax correct and if so what does it mean?

Is this an RPM version number? It's fairly common for RPMs to add "-X" at
the end of the version number. The "X" indicates the RPM version number
(i.e., the version number of the packaging -- not the package itself).

Open MPI's version number scheme is explained here:

    http://www.open-mpi.org/software/ompi/versions/

For corporate legal information go to: