Subject: Re: [OMPI users] How closely tied is a specific release of OpenMPI to the host operating system and other system software?
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-02 08:11:29

On Feb 2, 2011, at 7:02 AM, Terry Dontje wrote:

> 2. The system libraries on different linux versions are not always the same. At Oracle we build a binary distribution of OMPI that we test out on several different versions of Linux. The key here is building on a machine that is essentially the lowest common denominator of all the system software that exists on the machines one will be running on. This is essentially why Oracle states a bounded set of OS versions a distribution runs on. An example of this is there is a component in OMPI that was relying on a version of libbfd that changed significantly between Linux version. Once we got rid of the usage of that library we were ok. There are not "a lot" of these instances but the number is not zero.

+1

If your systems are not running exactly the same versions of software (e.g., different OS's), we typically categorize this as a "heterogeneous" scenario -- with all the caveats that Terry mentions. You may well likely require a separate OMPI install for each OS, and possibly (likely) even a different compilation of your application for each OS.

In general, I try to limit my OMPI jobs to homogeneous platforms. Heterogeneous can be done; it's just somewhat of a pain to get right.

For corporate legal information go to: