Subject: Re: [OMPI users] How closely tied is a specific release of OpenMPI to the host operating system and other system software?
From: Reuti (reuti_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-01 17:19:46

Am 01.02.2011 um 23:02 schrieb Jeffrey A Cummings:

> I use OpenMPI on a variety of platforms: stand-alone servers running Solaris on sparc boxes and Linux (mostly CentOS) on AMD/Intel boxes, also Linux (again CentOS) on large clusters of AMD/Intel boxes. These platforms all have some version of the 1.3 OpenMPI stream. I recently requested an upgrade on all systems to 1.4.3 (for production work) and 1.5.1 (for experimentation). I'm getting a lot of push back from the SysAdmin folks claiming that OpenMPI is closely intertwined with the specific version of the operating system and/or other system software (i.e., Rocks on the clusters). I need to know if they are telling me the truth or if they're just making excuses to avoid the work.

Maybe ROCKS or whatever provides only one version. Anyway: you can download Open MPI, compile it to build into e.g. ~/local/openmpi-1.4.3, adjust your PATHs and you are done.

Unless you build it with static libraries, it might in addition be necessary to adjust LD_LIBRARY_PATH at runtime.

I use most often my own version on the clusters I have access to and disregard any installed one.

-- Reuti