Subject: Re: [OMPI users] How closely tied is a specific release of OpenMPI to the host operating system and other system software?
From: Doug Reeder (dlr1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-01 17:18:49

Jeff,

We have similar circumstances and have been able to install and use versions of openmpi newer than supplied with the OS. It is necessary to have some means of path management to ensure that applications build against the desired version of openmpi and run with the version of openmpi they were built with. We use the module system for this path management. We create modules for each version of openmpi and each version of the applications. We than include the appropriate openmpi module in the module for the application. Then when a user loads a module for their application they automatically get the correct version of openmpi.

Doug Reeder