Subject: [OMPI users] How closely tied is a specific release of OpenMPI to the host operating system and other system software?
From: Jeffrey A Cummings (Jeffrey.A.Cummings_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-01 17:02:11

I use OpenMPI on a variety of platforms: stand-alone servers running
Solaris on sparc boxes and Linux (mostly CentOS) on AMD/Intel boxes, also
Linux (again CentOS) on large clusters of AMD/Intel boxes. These
platforms all have some version of the 1.3 OpenMPI stream. I recently
requested an upgrade on all systems to 1.4.3 (for production work) and
1.5.1 (for experimentation). I'm getting a lot of push back from the
SysAdmin folks claiming that OpenMPI is closely intertwined with the
specific version of the operating system and/or other system software
(i.e., Rocks on the clusters). I need to know if they are telling me the
truth or if they're just making excuses to avoid the work. To state my
question another way: Apparently each release of Linux and/or Rocks comes
with some version of OpenMPI bundled in. Is it dangerous in some way to
upgrade to a newer version of OpenMPI? Thanks in advance for any insight
anyone can provide.

- Jeff