Subject: Re: [OMPI users] maximising bandwidth
From: Toon Knapen (toon.knapen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-31 12:38:35

> I agree with Bill that performance portability is an issue. That is, the
> MPI standard itself doesn't really provide any guarantees here about what is
> fastest. Perhaps polling this mailing list will be helpful, but if you are
> looking for "the fastest" solution regardless of which MPI implementation
> you use (and which interconnect you use... which might be determined at run
> time) you will probably be disappointed.

I was afraid that was going to be the case :-( So if I'm concerned about
being network-BW-bound and being performant on different types of
architectures I should design my application such that it is able to use any
of the above communication patterns such that I can tell the
app which comm-pattern to use depending on the middleware/hardware it will
run on (to optimise for BW usage) ?

toon