Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Error from mpirun command
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-13 14:10:16

FWIW: you can typically put that kind of stuff in a portion of your .bashrc that is only invoked for interactive logins. I.e., the automated ssh's that OMPI's mpirun won't invoke those commands because they're non-interactive logins.

I'm a tcsh user myself, so I don't know the appropriate mojo offhand to detect interactive vs. non-interactive bash logins, but I'm sure it exists.

On Jan 12, 2011, at 7:13 PM, Tena Sakai wrote:

> Thank you, Gus.
>
> I grep'ed "stty" in all .<files> in my home directory and found
> that I had a line
> stty erase ^\?
> in .bashrc. When I commented out the line, the error message
> "stty: standard input: Invalid argument" went away.
>
> I appreciate your tip.
>
> Tena Sakai
> tsakai_at_[hidden]
>

> On 1/12/11 3:44 PM, "Gus Correa" <gus_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> Tena Sakai wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am trying to run simple mpirun commands (pretty much straight out of
>>> mpirun man page) and getting a bit of error message. Here’s what I mean:
>>>
>>> [tsakai_at_vixen Rmpi]$
>>> [tsakai_at_vixen Rmpi]$ hostname
>>> vixen.egcrc.org
>>> [tsakai_at_vixen Rmpi]$
>>> [tsakai_at_vixen Rmpi]$ mpirun -H vixen -np 1 hostname
>>> vixen.egcrc.org
>>> [tsakai_at_vixen Rmpi]$ mpirun -H blitzen -np 1 hostname
>>> stty: standard input: Invalid argument
>>> blitzen.egcrc.org
>>> [tsakai_at_vixen Rmpi]$ mpirun -H vixen -np 1 hostname : -H blitzen -np
>>> 1 hostname
>>> stty: standard inputvixen.egcrc.org
>>> blitzen.egcrc.org
>>> [tsakai_at_vixen Rmpi]$ : Invalid argument
>>>
>>> [tsakai_at_vixen Rmpi]$
>>> [tsakai_at_vixen Rmpi]$ mpirun -H vixen -np 1 hostname : -H blitzen -np
>>> 1 hostname 2> stdErr
>>> vixen.egcrc.org
>>> blitzen.egcrc.org
>>> [tsakai_at_vixen Rmpi]$
>>> [tsakai_at_vixen Rmpi]$ cat stdErr
>>> stty: standard input: Invalid argument
>>> [tsakai_at_vixen Rmpi]$
>>> [tsakai_at_vixen Rmpi]$ ssh -l tsakai blitzen
>>> Last login: Wed Jan 12 15:41:59 2011 from vixen.egcrc.org
>>> Platform OCS Frontend Node - Blitzen Cluster
>>> Platform OCS 4.5.1 (Flintstone)
>>> Profile built 11:01 10-Jul-2008
>>>
>>> Kickstarted 11:02 10-Jul-2008
>>> [tsakai_at_blitzen ~]$
>>> [tsakai_at_blitzen ~]$ hostname
>>> blitzen.egcrc.org
>>> [tsakai_at_blitzen ~]$
>>> [tsakai_at_blitzen ~]$ mpirun -H blitzen -np 1 hostname
>>> blitzen.egcrc.org
>>> [tsakai_at_blitzen ~]$ mpirun -H vixen -np 1 hostname
>>> stty: standard inputvixen.egcrc.org
>>> [tsakai_at_blitzen ~]$ : Invalid argument
>>>
>>> [tsakai_at_blitzen ~]$ mpirun -H vixen -np 1 hostname : -H blitzen -np 1
>>> hostname
>>> stty: standard inputblitzen.egcrc.org
>>> vixen.egcrc.org
>>> [tsakai_at_blitzen ~]$ : Invalid argument
>>>
>>> [tsakai_at_blitzen ~]$
>>> [tsakai_at_blitzen ~]$ mpirun -H vixen -np 1 hostname : -H blitzen -np 1
>>> hostname 2> stdErr
>>> blitzen.egcrc.org
>>> vixen.egcrc.org
>>> [tsakai_at_blitzen ~]$
>>> [tsakai_at_blitzen ~]$ cat stdErr
>>> stty: standard input: Invalid argument
>>> [tsakai_at_blitzen ~]$
>>> [tsakai_at_blitzen ~]$ exit
>>> logout
>>> [tsakai_at_vixen Rmpi]$
>>>
>>> I am using two hosts: vixen and blitzen. It appears that when a machine
>>> other than
>>> the one I am on it is specified via –H flag, I get “stty: standard
>>> input: Invalid argument”
>>> message to stderr. It doesn’t seem to impeed the execution of the
>>> command (in
>>> my example, hostname), though.
>>>
>>> Can somebody please tell me what this means and what it takes to cure
>>> the problem?
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> Tena Sakai
>>> tsakai_at_[hidden]
>>>

>> Guessin' ...
>> Anything in your .bashrc/.tcshrc or on
>> system-wide initialization files in /etc /etc/profile.d
>> that may be causing the stty output to stderr?
>> I did a little googling and found some stuff about it.
>> Perhaps it is not redirecting stderr 2>dev/null.
>> The message may come from the ssh session opened when mpiexec connects
>> you to the remote machine.
>>
>> My $0.02
>> Gus Correa

For corporate legal information go to: