Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Error from mpirun command
From: Gus Correa (gus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-12 18:44:16

Tena Sakai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to run simple mpirun commands (pretty much straight out of
> mpirun man page) and getting a bit of error message. Here’s what I mean:
>
> [tsakai_at_vixen Rmpi]$
> [tsakai_at_vixen Rmpi]$ hostname
> vixen.egcrc.org
> [tsakai_at_vixen Rmpi]$
> [tsakai_at_vixen Rmpi]$ mpirun -H vixen -np 1 hostname
> vixen.egcrc.org
> [tsakai_at_vixen Rmpi]$ mpirun -H blitzen -np 1 hostname
> stty: standard input: Invalid argument
> blitzen.egcrc.org
> [tsakai_at_vixen Rmpi]$ mpirun -H vixen -np 1 hostname : -H blitzen -np
> 1 hostname
> stty: standard inputvixen.egcrc.org
> blitzen.egcrc.org
> [tsakai_at_vixen Rmpi]$ : Invalid argument
>
> [tsakai_at_vixen Rmpi]$
> [tsakai_at_vixen Rmpi]$ mpirun -H vixen -np 1 hostname : -H blitzen -np
> 1 hostname 2> stdErr
> vixen.egcrc.org
> blitzen.egcrc.org
> [tsakai_at_vixen Rmpi]$
> [tsakai_at_vixen Rmpi]$ cat stdErr
> stty: standard input: Invalid argument
> [tsakai_at_vixen Rmpi]$
> [tsakai_at_vixen Rmpi]$ ssh -l tsakai blitzen
> Last login: Wed Jan 12 15:41:59 2011 from vixen.egcrc.org
> Platform OCS Frontend Node - Blitzen Cluster
> Platform OCS 4.5.1 (Flintstone)
> Profile built 11:01 10-Jul-2008
>
> Kickstarted 11:02 10-Jul-2008
> [tsakai_at_blitzen ~]$
> [tsakai_at_blitzen ~]$ hostname
> blitzen.egcrc.org
> [tsakai_at_blitzen ~]$
> [tsakai_at_blitzen ~]$ mpirun -H blitzen -np 1 hostname
> blitzen.egcrc.org
> [tsakai_at_blitzen ~]$ mpirun -H vixen -np 1 hostname
> stty: standard inputvixen.egcrc.org
> [tsakai_at_blitzen ~]$ : Invalid argument
>
> [tsakai_at_blitzen ~]$ mpirun -H vixen -np 1 hostname : -H blitzen -np 1
> hostname
> stty: standard inputblitzen.egcrc.org
> vixen.egcrc.org
> [tsakai_at_blitzen ~]$ : Invalid argument
>
> [tsakai_at_blitzen ~]$
> [tsakai_at_blitzen ~]$ mpirun -H vixen -np 1 hostname : -H blitzen -np 1
> hostname 2> stdErr
> blitzen.egcrc.org
> vixen.egcrc.org
> [tsakai_at_blitzen ~]$
> [tsakai_at_blitzen ~]$ cat stdErr
> stty: standard input: Invalid argument
> [tsakai_at_blitzen ~]$
> [tsakai_at_blitzen ~]$ exit
> logout
> [tsakai_at_vixen Rmpi]$
>
> I am using two hosts: vixen and blitzen. It appears that when a machine
> other than
> the one I am on it is specified via –H flag, I get “stty: standard
> input: Invalid argument”
> message to stderr. It doesn’t seem to impeed the execution of the
> command (in
> my example, hostname), though.
>
> Can somebody please tell me what this means and what it takes to cure
> [...]

Guessin' ...
Anything in your .bashrc/.tcshrc or on
system-wide initialization files in /etc /etc/profile.d
that may be causing the stty output to stderr?
I did a little googling and found some stuff about it.
Perhaps it is not redirecting stderr 2>dev/null.
The message may come from the ssh session opened when mpiexec connects
you to the remote machine.

My $0.02
Gus Correa