Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Calling MPI_Test() too many times results in a time spike
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-15 21:13:39

On Dec 15, 2010, at 9:10 PM, Ioannis Papadopoulos wrote:

> I agree that MPI_Test() has to do some progress, but as you can see I am only sending one message and I busy wait on it - since there is nothing else to do and no other incoming traffic, I would expect no difference among MPI_Test() calls, apart from the last one (the one that will notify me that my message arrived).

There's no other incoming traffic *for MPI*. But we're trapping down into the kernel (albeit in a non-blocking manner) and therefore the OS may stall us for longer than expected due to OS issues.

Have you eliminated all other sources of jitter? Are you binding to specific cores? Have you turned off all unused daemons? Do you see the same behavior with shared memory transport (which should make jitter issues more pronounced)? ...etc.

For corporate legal information go to: