Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Method for worker to determine its "rank" on a single machine?
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-14 17:22:43

On Dec 10, 2010, at 11:00 AM, Prentice Bisbal wrote:

>> Would it make sense to implement this as an MPI extension, and then
>> perhaps propose something to the Forum for this purpose?
>
> I think that makes sense. As core and socket counts go up, I imagine the need for this information will become more common as programmers try to explicitly keep codes on a single socket or node.

Something along these lines has come up as an MPI-3 proposal (from Oak Ridge and Sandia, IIRC). It hasn't gotten a lot of discussion yet, but concerns like Dick's were already brought up.

There seems to be general desire for this kind of functionality both within the Forum and among users, so we'll see where it goes...

For corporate legal information go to: