Subject: Re: [OMPI users] [Rocks-Discuss] compiling Openmpi on solaris studio express
From: Terry Dontje (terry.dontje_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-30 10:39:15

Ticket 2632 really spells out what the issue is.

On 11/30/2010 10:23 AM, Prentice Bisbal wrote:
> Nehemiah Dacres wrote:
>> that looks about right. So the suggestion:
>>
>> ./configure LDFLAGS="-notpath ... ... ..."
>>
>> -notpath should be replaced by whatever the proper flag should be, in my case -L<path> ?
> Yes, that's exactly what I meant. I should have chosen something better
> than "-notpath" to say "put a value there that was not '-path'".
I don't think the above will fix the problem because it has to do with
what how one passes the --rpath option to the linker. Prior to Studio
12.2 the --rpath option was passed through to the linker blindly (with a
warning). In Studio 12.2 the compiler recognizes -r as a compiler
option and now "-path" is blindly passed to the linker which has no idea
what that means. So one really needs to preface "--rpath" with either
"-Wl," or "-Qoption ld ". I don't believe changing the LDFLAGS will
actually change problem.

--td
> Not sure if my suggestion will help, given the bug report below. If
> you're really determined, you can always try editing all the makefiles
> after configure. Something like this might work:
>
> find . -name Makefile -exec sed -i.bak s/-path/-L<path>/g \{\} \;
>
> Use that at your own risk. You might change instances of the string
> '-path' that are actually correct.
>
> Prentice
>

>> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Rolf vandeVaart
>> <rolf.vandevaart_at_[hidden]<mailto:rolf.vandevaart_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>>
>> This problem looks a lot like a thread from earlier today. Can you
>> look at this
>> ticket and see if it helps? It has a workaround documented in it.
>>
>> https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/ticket/2632
>>
>> Rolf
>>

>> On 11/29/10 16:13, Prentice Bisbal wrote:
>>> No, it looks like ld is being called with the option -path, and your
>>> linker doesn't use that switch. Grep you Makefile(s) for the string
>>> "-path". It's probably in a statement defining LDFLAGS somewhere.
>>>
>>> When you find it, replace it with the equivalent switch for your
>>> compiler. You may be able to override it's value on the configure
>>> command-line, which is usually easiest/best:
>>>
>>> ./configure LDFLAGS="-notpath ... ... ..."
>>>
>>> --
>>> Prentice

>> --
>> Nehemiah I. Dacres
>> System Administrator
>> Advanced Technology Group Saint Louis University

Oracle
Developer Tools Engineering | +1.781.442.2631
Oracle *- Performance Technologies*
95 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803

picture