Subject: Re: [OMPI users] compiling Openmpi on solaris studio express
From: Gus Correa (gus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-29 15:03:16

Hi Nehemiah

I never tried to build OpenMPI with SunStudio, but it should work.
(I did with Gnu, Intel, PGI and Open64, the latter still has Fortran90
problems.)

For starters, I would just try the recipe in the OpenMPI FAQ:
http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=building#build-compilers
replacing the intel compiler names by the corresponding Solaris studio.

If you installed the compilers in Rocks /share/apps, any shared
libraries they may have will be available at runtime on all nodes.

BTW, /share/apps would be the best place to install OpenMPI as well
(in a subdirectory of your choice).
This will avoid installing on all nodes, making OpenMPI available
through the NFS mounted /share/apps directory.
For modest-sized clusters this scales well.
If you have many hundreds of nodes, you may want a different approach
(e.g. making OpenMPI RPMs and rebuilding the nodes with them.)

If you have Infiniband and/or Torque or SGE, read these FAQs:
http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=building#build-p2p
http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=building#build-rte-tm
http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=building#build-rte-sge

The FAQ are the de-facto OpenMPI documentation:
http://www.open-mpi.org/faq
Worth reading.

My two cents,
Gus