Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Error when using OpenMPI with SGE multiple hosts
From: Reuti (reuti_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-15 15:22:38

Am 15.11.2010 um 20:23 schrieb Terry Dontje:

> <snip>
>>> Is your complaint really the fact that exec6 has been allocated two slots but there seems to only be one slot worth of resources allocated
>>>
>> All are wrong except exec6. They should only get one core assigned.
>>

> Huh? I would have thought exec6 would get 4 cores and the rest are correct.

In my opinion it would be a violation of the granted slot count when you get more cores granted than slots. How should SGE deal with it for the jobs which are lateron scheduled to such a machine: still 4 slots free, but all 8 cores already used up - what to do?!?

Hence the amount should be interpreted as a "reserve up to amount cores per machine", limited by the granted slot count per machine. So "-binding linear:4" would mean give me up to 4 cores per maschine if possible.

- possibly only 3, when only 3 slots are granted on a machine

- you will never ever get more than 4 slots per machine, i.e. it's an upper limit for slots per machine for this particular job

-- Reuti

> --td
>
>> -- Reuti
>>

>>> to it (ie in case one exec6 only has 1 core and case 2 it has two where maybe you'd expect 2 and 4 cores allocated respectively)?
>>>
>>> --
>>> <Mail-Anhang.gif>
>>> Terry D. Dontje | Principal Software Engineer
>>> Developer Tools Engineering | +1.781.442.2631
>>> Oracle - Performance Technologies
>>> 95 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803
>>> Email