Subject: Re: [OMPI users] open MPI please recommend a debugger for open MPI
From: Prentice Bisbal (prentice_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-03 16:48:56

Jeff Squyres wrote:
> On Nov 3, 2010, at 3:59 PM, Prentice Bisbal wrote:
>
>> So then to paraphrase Jon Stewart, you'd like to politely disagree with me?
>
> I think that would be quite reasonable.
>
> ;-)

Perhaps we could discuss our differences over a spot of tea? [1]

> This is not to say that I'm above printf debugging -- I do it all the time. But... I know what I'm doing. Ahem. But seriously, I try to use printf's for only truly trivial things; I use various kinds of debugging tools for everything else (e.g., I'll frequently use gdb to examine corefiles and/or attach to individual processes in parallel jobs to do heavy-lifting debugging).

I use the gdb technique, too, but didn't want to suggest that and then
be on the hook for writing detailed instructions here on how to do it. :-)

[1] I was actually at the Sanity/Fear Rally on Saturday, with about 215k
of my closest friends.

--
Prentice