Subject: Re: [OMPI users] mixed versions of openmpi ? (1.4.1 and 1.4.3)
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-29 12:27:12

I'd have to go check 1.4.3 and 1.4.1 to be sure, but I would generally *NOT* assume that different versions like this are compatible.

Open MPI makes an ABI promise (that started with version 1.3.2) that all the releases in a given feature series and its corresponding super-stable series (i.e., x.y.* and x.(y+1).*, where y is odd) are ABI compatible. But we make no guarantees about wire protocols being compatible, or other things like that.

So in general, it's "pleasantly surprising" if the different releases work together, but I wouldn't rely on it *at all*. :-)

On Oct 29, 2010, at 12:12 PM, guillaume ranquet wrote:

> Hi list,
> I'm sorry to bother you with a stupid question.
> we intend to have for a short period of time, some nodes with 1.4.3 and
> others with 1.4.1 (before upgrading everyone to 1.4.3).
> I made various test and found both versions to be running together quite
> well with a mixed set of nodes.
> my tests were quite simple, I compiled and ran mpi hello_worlds with
> both versions.
> It wouldn't be serious for me to assume both versions fully compatible
> after these tests -and I must admit I lack the time and technical
> knowledge to run further testing.
> has anyone any insight on what have changed that would break compatibility?
> I guess nothing, since they are the same major.minor :)
> regards,
> Guillaume Ranquet.
> Version: GnuPG v2.0.16 (GNU/Linux)
> Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -
> 6q4BrymLrBSl7rnnEgALBMiPGK9lQgqEtv9k3xCFbfOfWXIFreIHH8ZFDzt1BjQI
> TZ58SwVE9CIMmESoJ1P52R+WCbKYur3U2eda//1cfnZ28ZYjnKN/xYlT/wv8hqg3
> GsW+seMR8X+1nNFkH1UQHIBVO2cXaK24BtSe4cvDFaMaUbe0Qlmxg55BbCSYB4ED
> VBbplp/ty0tojmZdJLqSsp7nZ84oCfvAfZf16fJTDHNYhUSvNz/fldnxWrm7WTUb
> VzM94yJf0IHfNAB/YvpXECGFL9cPWeG/F6Bm+r6GSMRvd0MeLbp1HWJTbVYlCwo=
> =NwEP

For corporate legal information go to: