Subject: Re: [OMPI users] MPI-2.2: do you care?
From: Jeremiah Willcock (jewillco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-26 20:29:09

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> Open MPI users --
>
> I took a little heat at the last the MPI Forum for not having Open MPI
> be fully complaint with MPI-2.2 yet (OMPI is compliant with MPI-2.1).
> Specifically, there's still 4 open issues in Open MPI that are necessary
> for full MPI-2.2 compliance:
>
> https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&summary=~MPI-2.2&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=version&order=priority
>
> We haven't made these items a priority because -- to be blunt -- no one
> really has been asking for them. No one has come forward and said "I
> *must* have these features!" (to be fair, they're somewhat obscure
> features).
>
> Other than not having the obvious "OMPI is MPI-2.2 compliant" checkmark
> for marketing reasons, is there anyone who *needs* the functionality
> represented by those still-open tickets?

I have been writing some code that would have benefited greatly from the
fix to #2219 (MPI datatypes for C99 types and MPI integer typedefs).
Issue #2222 (MPI_Reduce_scatter_block) is not in the query you gave above
but is also an MPI 2.2 feature; having that fixed would also simplify my
code (and reduce memory requirements at scale).

-- Jeremiah Willcock