Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Running simple MPI program
From: Brandon Fulcher (minguo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-23 10:07:07

Thank you for the response!

The code runs on my own machine as well. Both machines, in fact. And I did
not build MPI but installed the package from the ubuntu repositories.

The problem occurs when I try to run a job using two machines or simply try
to run it on a slave from the master.

the actual command I have run along with the output is below:

mpirun -hostfile hosts.txt ilk
mpirun noticed that the job aborted, but has no info as to the process
that caused that situation.

where hosts.txt contains:
192.168.0.2 cpu=2
192.168.0.6 cpu=1

If it matters the same output is given if I define a remote host in the
command such as (if I am on 192.168.0.2)
mpirun -host 192.168.0.6 ilk

Now if I run it locally, the job succeeds. This works from either cpu.
mpirun ilk

Thanks in advance.

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 11:59 PM, David Zhang <solarbikedz_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> since you said you're new to MPI, what command did you use to run the 2
> processes?
>

> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 9:58 PM, David Zhang <solarbikedz_at_[hidden]>wrote:
>
>> your code works on mine machine. could be they way you build mpi.
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 7:26 PM, Brandon Fulcher <minguo_at_[hidden]>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, I am completely new to MPI and am having trouble running a job
>>> between two cpus.
>>>
>>> The same thing happens no matter what MPI job I try to run, but here is a
>>> simple 'hello world' style program I am trying to run.
>>>
>>> #include <mpi.h>
>>> #include <stdio.h>
>>>
>>> int main(int argc, char **argv)
>>> {
>>> int *buf, i, rank, nints, len;
>>> char hostname[256];
>>>
>>> MPI_Init(&argc,&argv);
>>> MPI_Comm_rank(MPI_COMM_WORLD, &rank);
>>> gethostname(hostname,255);
>>> printf("Hello world! I am process number: %d on host %s\n", rank,
>>> hostname);