Subject: [OMPI users] Running simple MPI program
From: Brandon Fulcher (minguo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-22 22:26:24

Hi, I am completely new to MPI and am having trouble running a job between
two cpus.

The same thing happens no matter what MPI job I try to run, but here is a
simple 'hello world' style program I am trying to run.

#include <mpi.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
  int *buf, i, rank, nints, len;
  char hostname[256];

  MPI_Comm_rank(MPI_COMM_WORLD, &rank);
  printf("Hello world! I am process number: %d on host %s\n", rank,
  return 0;

On either CPU, I can successfully compile and run, but when trying to run
the program using two CPUS it fails with this output:

mpirun noticed that the job aborted, but has no info as to the process
that caused that situation.

With no additional information or errors, What can I do to go about finding
out what is wrong?

I have read the FAQ and followed the instructions. I can ssh into the slave
without entering a password and have the libraries installed on both

The only thing pertinent I could find is this faq but I do not
know if it applies since I have installed open mpi from the Ubuntu
repositories and assume the libraries are correctly set.