Subject: Re: [OMPI users] dinamic spawn process on remote node
From: Reuti (reuti_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-22 10:04:14

Am 22.10.2010 um 14:09 schrieb Vasiliy G Tolstov:

> On Fri, 2010-10-22 at 14:07 +0200, Reuti wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 22.10.2010 um 10:58 schrieb Vasiliy G Tolstov:
>>
>>> Hello. May be this question already answered, but i can't see it in list
>>> archive.
>>>
>>> I'm running about 60 Xen nodes with about 7-20 virtual machines under
>>> it. I want to gather disk,cpu,memory,network utilisation from virtual
>>> machines and get it into database for later processing.
>>>
>>> As i see, my architecture like this - One or two master servers with mpi
>>> process with rank 0, that can insert data into database. This master
>>> servers spawns on each Xen node mpi process, that gather statistics from
>>> virtual machines on that node and send it to masters (may be with
>>> multicast request). On each virtual machine i have process (mpi) that
>>> can get and send data to mpi process on each Xen node. Virtual machine
>>> have ability to migrate on other Xen node....
>>
>> do you want just to monitor the physical and virtual machines by an application running under MPI? It sounds like it could be done by Ganglia or Nagios then.
>
> No.. I want to get realtime data to decide what virtual machine i need
> to migrate to other Xen, becouse it need more resources.

This is indeed an interesting field, as it was a couple of times also on the SGE Gridengine mailing list: how to handle jobs with varying resource requests over their lifetime, and how should they signal it (or provide it already in the `qsub` command) to the queuing system, that they now have to move to another bigger node (or could be moved to a smaller node with less resources).

-- Reuti