Subject: Re: [OMPI users] hdf5 build error using openmpi and Intel Fortran
From: Gus Correa (gus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-08 13:58:50

Jeff Squyres wrote:
> On Oct 8, 2010, at 1:00 PM, Götz Waschk wrote:
>
>> I have solved this problem myself. The trick is not to use the
>> compiler wrappers but icc and ifort directly. But in that case you'll
>> have to link to libmpi_f77 manually and set the variable RUNPARALLEL
>> to a working mpirun command.
>
> Strange.
>
> Be sure to see: http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=mpi-apps#cant-use-wrappers

Hi Jeff

Sadly, it is not only HDF5.

There are several public domain parallel programs which we use here
that refuse to build using the mpi wrappers (from OpenMPI,
MPICH2, or MVAPICH2), and require the same "deconstruction"
of configuration and make files that Gotz probably had to face.

Typically the Makefiles have hardwired items that cannot be overridden
(e.g. -lmpich for the MPI library name passed to the linker,
compiler options and flags that are vendor-specific, logic that
separates MPI, OpenMP, and serial compilation, etc).
I have used the FAQ link you sent many times in this regard.

I would guess that even more than the end users of MPI,
it is the developers of public domain software
(and of software projects funded by public grants)
who need to be convinced that the right thing
to do is to ensure that MPI wrappers will compile their
software without problems.

My $0.02
Gus Correa