Subject: Re: [OMPI users] location of ompi libraries
From: David Turner (dpturner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-05 17:29:56

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the response. Reviewing my builds, I realized that for
1.4.2, I had configured using

contrib/platform/lanl/tlcc/optimized-nopanasas

per Ralph Castain's suggestion. That file includes both:

enable_dlopen=no
enable_shared=yes
enable_static=yes

Here is my *real* issue. I am trying to test Voltaire's Fabric
Collective Accelerator, which extends mca_component_path, and
adds a few additional .so files. It appears I must have
enable_dlopen=yes for this to work, which makes sense.

I assume that the shared/static settings above result in
*both* .a and .so versions of the ompi libraries getting
built. I'm not sure if this will affect my ability to
use Voltaire's mca plugins, but I have determined that
simply removing the enable_dlopen=no is not sufficient
to restore all the ompi .so files. I assume (haven't
tried it yet) that removing the enable_static=yes will
result in the ompi .so files getting created.

I guess I'm just looking for some guidance in the use
of the above options. I have read many warnings on
the ompi website about trying to link statically.

Thanks!