Subject: Re: [OMPI users] new open mpi user questions
From: Nico Mittenzwey (Nico.Mittenzwey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-04 11:52:16

Ed Peddycoart wrote:
> The machines are RHEL 5.4 machines and an older version of Open MPI was
> already installed. I understand from the faq that I should not simply
> over write the old installation, but would it be better if I remove the
> old version or install the new to a different location. I have no need
> for the old version.

Remove it, if you don't need it.
If you'll compile from source, you can add the argument
--prefix=/home/username/openmpi (or similar) to the ./configure command
to install Open MPI in that location. Just set your PATH and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables accordingly to compile and run your applications.

> Are there test apps with the Open MPI distribution that I can use to
> produce some benchmarks? One thing I want to get an idea of data
> transfer rates as a function of the size of the data transferred.

A nice bandwidth benchmark is netpipe from
http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/netpipe/. Compile with "make mpi".

Nico