Subject: [OMPI users] a question about [MPI]IO on systems without network filesystem
From: Paul Kapinos (kapinos_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-29 05:34:49

Dear OpenMPI developer,

We have a question about the possibility to use MPI IO (and possible
regular I/O) on clusters which does *not* have a common filesystem
(network filesystem) on all nodes.

A common filesystem is mainly NOT a hard precondition to use OpenMPI:
http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=running#do-i-need-a-common-filesystem

Say, we have a (diskless? equipped with very small disks?) cluster, on
which only one node have access to a filesystem.

Is it possible to configure/run OpenMPI in a such way, that only _one_
process (e.g. master) performs real disk I/O, and other processes sends
the data to the master which works as an agent?

Of course this would impacts the performance, because all data must be
send over network, and the master may became a bottleneck. But is such
scenario - IO of all processes bundled to one process - practicable at all?

Best wishes
Paul

--
Dipl.-Inform. Paul Kapinos   -   High Performance Computing,
Seffenter Weg 23,  D 52074  Aachen (Germany)