Subject: [OMPI users] Continued functionality across a SLES10 to SLES11 upgrade ...
From: Richard Walsh (Richard.Walsh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-20 13:20:26

All,

I was not expecting things to work, and find that codes compiled using
OpenMPI 1.4.1 commands under SLES 10.2 produce the following message
when run under SLES11:

mca: base: component_find: unable to open /share/apps/openmpi-intel/1.4.1/lib/openmpi/mca_btl_openib: perhaps a missing symbol, or compiled for a different version of Open MPI? (ignored)

This file is in position and is NOT the result of a faulty mixed-release over-build
(things work great under SLES10.2).

The message indicates that (as the default is to build OpenMPI dynamically
with share objects) in loading this required IB-related library there must
be a format incompatibility. However, I find that if I force the use of GE with:

-mca btl tcp,self

things seem to run OK under SLES 11.

Could someone add some detail here on what, if anything, I can expect to
work when we try to run old SLES 10.2 build OpenMPI 1.4.1 binaries under
SLES 11. I would have thought NOTHING, but maybe that is not quite right.

Perhaps we can run using GE under SLES 11 with the old binaries until I get
things recompiled (ugh!) under SLES 11?

Thanks,

Richard Walsh
Richard Walsh
Parallel Applications and Systems Manager
CUNY HPC Center, Staten Island, NY
718-982-3319
612-382-4620

Reason does give the heart pause;
As the heart gives reason fits.

Yet, to live where reason always rules;
Is to kill one's heart with wits.

Think green before you print this email.