Subject: Re: [OMPI users] compiler upgrades require openmpi rebuild?
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-03 13:51:14

On Aug 30, 2010, at 6:48 PM, David Turner wrote:

> We have recently upgraded our default compiler suite from
> PGI 10.5 to PGI 10.8. We use the "module" system to manage
> third-party software. The module for PGI sets PATH and
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>
> Using Open MPI 1.4.2, built with PGI 10.5, I have verified
> that changing PATH is sufficient for the Open MPI compiler
> wrappers to pick up version 10.8 of the PGI compilers.
> However, it appears that the 10.5 PGI libraries are "wired"
> into the wrappers somehow. So I get an executable that
> has been compiled with PGI 10.8 but linked against PGI 10.5
> libraries.
>
> Short of rebuilding Open MPI with PGI 10.8, is there any
> (safe, reliable) way to get the compiler wrappers to link
> against the PGI 10.8 libraries? Thanks!

Sorry for the latency in reply.

I would guess that the Open MPI libraries have been linked against the PGI 10.5 libraries, and it might not be easy to dis-entangle them. It *might* be a simple as changing your LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but it might not.

Since there's some question as to how to do it properly, it's probably safest / easiest / least total time spent to just build another copy of OMPI against 10.8. :-\

For corporate legal information go to: