Subject: Re: [OMPI users] OpenMPI Run-Time "Freedom" Question
From: Michael E. Thomadakis (miket7777_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-12 20:48:53

  On 08/12/10 17:27, Ralph Castain wrote:
> Ick - talk about confusing! I suppose there must be -some- rational
> reason why someone would want to do this, but I can't imagine what it
> would be....
>
> I'm no expert on compiler vs lib confusion, but some of my own
> experience would say that this is a bad idea regardless of whether or
> not OMPI is involved. Compiler version interoperability is usually
> questionable, depending upon how far apart the rev levels are.
>
> Only answer I can offer is that you would have to try it. It will
> undoubtedly be a case-by-case basis: some combinations might work,
> others might fail.
>

> On Aug 12, 2010, at 3:53 PM, Michael E. Thomadakis wrote:

Hi Ralph, I believe the clean and rational solution when an MPI
Application needs a specific combination of OMPI and Intel Compilers is
to just build this OMPI against that compiler version statically or
dynamically so the application can just use it. I feel that the OMPI
libs + run-time is intimate part of the run-time of the application.
What people think they can do is to build only ONCE against the same
OMPI but freely swap in and out any Intel library run-time w/o worries
and without REBUILDING the application. Nothing in life is free though.
Thanks for the reply ....

Michael