Subject: [OMPI users] OpenMPI Run-Time "Freedom" Question
From: Michael E. Thomadakis (miket7777_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-12 17:53:03

  Hello OpenMPI,

we have deployed OpenMPI 1.4.1 and 1.4.2 on our Intel Nehalem cluster
using Intel compilers V 11.1.059 and 11.1.072 respectively, and one user
has the following request:

Can we build OpenMPI version say O.1 against Intel compilers version say
I.1 but then built an application with OpenMPI O.1 BUT then use a
DIFFERENT Intel compiler version say I.2 to built and run this MPI
application?

I suggested to him to 1) simply try to built and run the application
with O.1 but use Intel compilers version I.X whatever this X is and see
if it has any issues.

OR 2) If the above does not work, I would build OpenMPI O.1 against
Intel version I.X so he can use THIS combination for his hypothetical
application.

He insists that I build OpenMPI O.1 with some version of Intel compilers
I.Y but then at run time he would like to use *different* Intel run time
libs at will I.Z <> I.X.

Can you provide me with a suggestion for a sane solution to this ? :-)

Best regards

Michael