Subject: Re: [OMPI users] MPI Template Datatype?
From: Riccardo Murri (riccardo.murri_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-09 16:09:58

Hello Alexandru,

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 6:05 PM, Alexandru Blidaru <alexsb92_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I have to send some vectors from node to node, and the vecotrs are built
> using a template. The datatypes used in the template will be long, int,
> double, and char. How may I send those vectors since I wouldn't know what
> MPI datatype i have to specify in MPI_Send and MPI Recv. Is there any way to
> do this?

I'm not sure I understand what your question is about: are you asking
what MPI datatypes you should use to send C types "long", "int", etc.,
or are you trying to send a more complex C type ("vector")?
Can you send some code demonstrating the problem you are trying to solve?

Besides, your wording suggests that you are trying to send a C++
std::vector<T> over MPI: have you already had a look at Boost.MPI? It
has out-of-the-box support for STL containers.

Cheers,
Riccardo