Subject: Re: [OMPI users] mpiexec hangs - new install
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-24 19:31:12

On Jul 24, 2010, at 4:40 PM, James wrote:

> OK, that's the problem. I turned the firewall off on both machines, and
> it works.
>
> Now the question: how do I fix it? I searched through the archives, and
> found that it seems to be a pretty common problem. Unfortunately, I didn't
> see a solution that I could understand. (I'm not a sysadmin, just a person
> trying to do some programming.)
>
> I have a couple of machines on a local net, with IP addresses in the
> 192.168.10.1xx range. There's a router at 192.168.10.1, which is connected
> to the internet via a cable mode. So how do I set up my system so my
> local machines can do whatever talking between themselves that's needed by
> OpenMPI, while still having a firewall between my system and the outside
> world?

Most routers provide their own internal-to-external firewall - you might check its setup and see. If it does, then you don't need to also have one on your individual machines.

> Thanks,
> James
>
> PS: Hate to kvetch, but wouldn't it save a lot of wasted time if basic
> problems like this were addressed in the FAQ?

Yes, it probably should be. However, a simple search for "firewall" on the user mailing list provides lots of info on how to deal with this issue.