On Jul 18, 2010, at 4:09 PM, Philippe wrote:
> thanks for investigating.
> I've applied the two patches you mentioned earlier and ran with the
> ompi server. Although i was able to runn our standalone test, when I
> integrated the changes to our code, the processes entered a crazy loop
> and allocated all the memory available when calling MPI_Port_Connect.
> I was not able to identify why it works standalone but not integrated
> with our code. If I found why, I'll let your know.
How many processes are we talking about?
> looking forward to your findings. We'll be happy to test any patches
> if you have some!
> On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 9:47 PM, Ralph Castain <rhc_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Okay, I can reproduce this problem. Frankly, I don't think this ever worked with OMPI, and I'm not sure how the choice of BTL makes a difference.
>> The program is crashing in the communicator definition, which involves a communication over our internal out-of-band messaging system. That system has zero connection to any BTL, so it should crash either way.
>> Regardless, I will play with this a little as time allows. Thanks for the reproducer!
>> On Jun 25, 2010, at 7:23 AM, Philippe wrote:
>>> I'm trying to run a test program which consists of a server creating a
>>> port using MPI_Open_port and N clients using MPI_Comm_connect to
>>> connect to the server.
>>> I'm able to do so with 1 server and 2 clients, but with 1 server + 3
>>> clients, I get the following error message:
>>> [node003:32274] [[37084,0],0]:route_callback tried routing message
>>> from [[37084,1],0] to [[40912,1],0]:102, can't find route
>>> This is only happening with the openib BTL. With tcp BTL it works
>>> perfectly fine (ofud also works as a matter of fact...). This has been
>>> tested on two completely different clusters, with identical results.
>>> In either cases, the IB frabic works normally.
>>> Any help would be greatly appreciated! Several people in my team
>>> looked at the problem. Google and the mailing list archive did not
>>> provide any clue. I believe that from an MPI standpoint, my test
>>> program is valid (and it works with TCP, which make me feel better
>>> about the sequence of MPI calls)
>>> I intend to use openMPI to transport data inside a much larger
>>> application. Because of that, I cannot used mpiexec. Each process is
>>> started by our own "job management" and use a name server to find
>>> about each others. Once all the clients are connected, I would like
>>> the server to do MPI_Recv to get the data from all the client. I dont
>>> care about the order or which client are sending data, as long as I
>>> can receive it with on call. Do do that, the clients and the server
>>> are going through a series of Comm_accept/Conn_connect/Intercomm_merge
>>> so that at the end, all the clients and the server are inside the same
>>> I have a sample program that show the issue. I tried to make it as
>>> short as possible. It needs to be executed on a shared file system
>>> like NFS because the server write the port info to a file that the
>>> client will read. To reproduce the issue, the following steps should
>>> be performed:
>>> 0. compile the test with "mpicc -o ben12 ben12.c"
>>> 1. ssh to the machine that will be the server
>>> 2. run ./ben12 3 1
>>> 3. ssh to the machine that will be the client #1
>>> 4. run ./ben12 3 0
>>> 5. repeat step 3-4 for client #2 and #3
>>> the server accept the connection from client #1 and merge it in a new
>>> intracomm. It then accept connection from client #2 and merge it. when
>>> the client #3 arrives, the server accept the connection, but that
>>> cause client #1 and #2 to die with the error above (see the complete
>>> trace in the tarball).
>>> The exact steps are:
>>> - server open port
>>> - server does accept
>>> - client #1 does connect
>>> - server and client #1 do merge
>>> - server does accept
>>> - client #2 does connect
>>> - server, client #1 and client #2 do merge
>>> - server does accept
>>> - client #3 does connect
>>> - server, client #1, client #2 and client #3 do merge
>>> My infiniband network works normally with other test programs or
>>> applications (MPI or others like Verbs).
>>> Info about my setup:
>>> openMPI version = 1.4.1 (I also tried 1.4.2, nightly snapshot of
>>> 1.4.3, nightly snapshot of 1.5 --- all show the same error)
>>> config.log in the tarball
>>> "ompi_info --all" in the tarball
>>> OFED version = 1.3 installed from RHEL 5.3
>>> Distro = RedHat Entreprise Linux 5.3
>>> Kernel = 2.6.18-128.4.1.el5 x86_64
>>> subnet manager = built-in SM from the cisco/topspin switch
>>> output of ibv_devinfo included in the tarball (there are no "bad" nodes)
>>> "ulimit -l" says "unlimited"
>>> The tarball contains:
>>> - ben12.c: my test program showing the behavior
>>> - config.log / config.out / make.out / make-install.out /
>>> ifconfig.txt / ibv-devinfo.txt / ompi_info.txt
>>> - trace-tcp.txt: output of the server and each client when it works
>>> with TCP (I added "btl = tcp,self" in ~/.openmpi/mca-params.conf)
>>> - trace-ib.txt: output of the server and each client when it fails
>>> with IB (I added "btl = openib,self" in ~/.openmpi/mca-params.conf)
>>> I hope I provided enough info for somebody to reproduce the problem...
>>> users mailing list
>> users mailing list
> users mailing list