Subject: Re: [OMPI users] is OpenMPI 1.4 thread-safe?
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-02 08:50:28

What would software be without conflicting documentation? :-)

The first statement is true; THREAD_MULTIPLE was designed in from the beginning. But it has never been much of a priority -- simply not enough people are asking for it. As of 1.4.1, the following is true (from the README -- I'll go update the man page):

  o MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE support for point-to-point messaging in the
    following BTLs (note that only MPI point-to-point messaging API
    functions support MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE; other API functions likely
    do not):
    - tcp
    - sm
    - mx
    - elan
    - self

On Jun 30, 2010, at 5:28 PM, Riccardo Murri wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The FAQ states: "Support for MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE [...] has been
> designed into Open MPI from its first planning meetings. Support for
> MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE is included in the first version of Open MPI, but
> it is only lightly tested and likely still has some bugs."
>
> The man page of "mpirun" from v1.4.3a1r23323 in addition says "Open
> MPI is, currently, neither thread-safe nor async-signal-safe" (section
> "Process Termination / Signal Handling").
>
> Are these statements up-to-date? What is the status of
> MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE in OMPI 1.4?
>
> Thanks in advance for any info!
>
> Cheers,
> Riccardo