Subject: Re: [OMPI users] about MPI
From: Changsheng Jiang (jiangzuoyan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-29 04:00:07

I am a learner, too, please correct me.

                                                     Changsheng Jiang

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 15:44, 王睿 <wangraying_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hi, all
>
> I'm now learning MPI, but I'm not clear with the following questions,
>
> 1, suppose a MPI program involves several nodes, if one node dead, will the
> program terminate?

yes. If you program killed in one node, all another nodes will note that
and abort. But if you server halt, or, you killed the parent of your
program(which luanched by mpi runtime) first, then another nodes will wait a
very long time before exit.

> 2, Is there any possibility to extend or shrink the size of MPI
> communicator size? If so, we can use spare node to replace the dead node?

I think no. the message passing model prevent you doing this. the
distributed program status depends on the dead nodes.