Subject: Re: [OMPI users] SM failure with mixed 32/64-bit procs on the samemachine
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-04 10:26:06

I doubt that we have tested this kind of scenario much (specifically with shared memory). I guess I'm not too surprised that it doesn't work -- to my knowledge, you're the first person to ask for heterogeneous *on the same server*. As such, I don't know if we'll do much work to support it (there could be some gnarly issues with address ranges inside shared memory).

But your point is noted that we should not hang/crash in such a scenario. I'll file a bug to at least detect this scenario and indicate that we do not support it.

On Jun 3, 2010, at 10:29 AM, Katz, Jacob wrote:

> Hi,
> I have two processes, one a 32bit and another a 64bit, running on the same 64bit machine. When running with TCP BTL everything works fine, however with SM BTL it’s not.
> In one application the processes just got stuck – one in Send and the other in Recv. In another application I even saw a segfault inside the MPI libraries in one of the processes.
>
> Is such scenario officially supported by SM BTL?
>
> Open MPI: 1.3.3
> Heterogeneous support: yes
>
> Thanks.
> Jacob M. Katz | jacob.katz_at_[hidden] | Work: +972-4-865-5726 | iNet: (8)-465-5726

> Intel Israel (74) Limited

For corporate legal information go to: