Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Question on virtual memory allocated
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-15 07:38:41

On May 12, 2010, at 8:19 AM, Olivier Riff wrote:

> What I do not understand is where the value of 2104m for the virtual memory comes from.
> When I add the value of Mem used (777848k) to the value of the cache (339184k) : the amount is by far inferior to the Virtual memory (2104m).
> Are here part of the memory allocated by the clients taken into account ?

No, top only shows the data from one machine.

> Where are physically allocated these 2104m of data ?

They may be in physical memory and may also be swapped out on disk.

Keep in mind that the virtual memory encompasses *all* memory for an application -- its code and its data. Hence, this also includes shared libraries (which may be shared amongst several processes on the same machine), process-specific instructions, process-specific data, and shared process data.

For corporate legal information go to: