Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Fortran issues on Windows and 1.5 Trunk version
From: Shiqing Fan (fan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-12 04:24:25

Hi Damien,

I know there will be more problems, and your feedback is always
helpful. :-)

Could you please provide me a Visual Studio solution file for MUMPS? I
would like to test it a little.

Thanks,
Shiqing

On 2010-5-12 6:11 AM, Damien wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Me again (poor Shiqing, I know...). I've been trying to get the MUMPS
> solver running on Windows with Open-MPI. I can only use the 1.5
> branch because that has Fortran support on Windows and 1.4.2 doesn't.
> There's a couple of things going wrong:
>
> First, calls to MPI_Initialized from Fortran report that MPI isn't
> initialised (MUMPS has a MPI_Initialized check). If I call
> MPI_Initialized from C or C++, it is initialized. I'm not sure what
> this means for MPI calls from Fortran, but it could be the cause of
> the second problem, which is: If I bypass the MPI_Initialized check
> in MUMPS, I can get the solver to start and run in one process. If I
> try and run 2 or more processes, all the processes ramp to 100% CPU in
> the first parallel section, and sit there with no progress. If I
> break in with the debugger, I can usually land on some MPI_IProbe
> calls, presumably looking for receives that don't exist, possibly
> because the Fortran MPI environment really isn't initialised. After
> many debugger break-ins, I end up in a small group of calls, so it's a
> loop waiting for something.
>
> For reference, it was yesterday's 1.5 svn trunk, MUMPS 4.9.2, and
> Intel Math libraries, and a 32-bit build. MUMPS is Fortran 90/95 but
> uses the F77 MPI interfaces. It does run with MPICH2. I realise that
> 1.5 is a dev branch, so it might just be too early for this to work.
> I'd be grateful for suggestions though. I can build and test this on
> Linux if that would help narrow this down.
>
> Damien

Shiqing Fan                          http://www.hlrs.de/people/fan
High Performance Computing           Tel.: +49 711 685 87234
   Center Stuttgart (HLRS)            Fax.: +49 711 685 65832
Address:Allmandring 30               email: fan_at_[hidden]
70569 Stuttgart