Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Fortran support on Windows Open-MPI
From: Tim Prince (n8tm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-07 02:09:25

On 5/6/2010 9:07 PM, Trent Creekmore wrote:
> Compaq Visual Fortan for Windows was out, but HP aquired Compaq. HP, later
> deciding they did not want it, along with the Alpha processor techonology,
> sold them to Intel. So now it's Intel Visual Fortran Compiler for Windows.
> In addition, if you don't want that package, instead they do sell a plug-in
> for Microsoft Visual Studio. There is also a HPC/Parallel enviroment too for
> Visual Studio, but none of these are cheap.
>
> I don't see why you can't include Open MPI libraries in that enviroment.
>
> Trent

I'm not certain whether the top-post is intended as a reply to the
original post, but I feel I must protest efforts to add confusion.
Looking at the instructions for building on Windows, it appears that
several routes have been taken with reported success, not including
commercial Fortran. It seems it should not be a major task to include
gfortran in the cygwin build.
HP never transferred ownership of Compaq Fortran, not that it's relevant
to the discussion.
The most popular open source MPI for commercial Windows Fortran has been
Argonne MPICH2, which offers a pre-built version compatible with Intel
Fortran. Intel also offers MPI, derived originally from Argonne
MPICH2, for both Windows and linux.
I can't imagine OpenMPI libraries being added to the Microsoft HPC
environment; maybe that's not exactly what the top poster meant.

--
Tim Prince