Subject: Re: [OMPI users] How do I run OpenMPI safely on a Nehalem standalone machine?
From: Gus Correa (gus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-06 13:11:35

Hi Douglas

Just for the record, I am using:
Open MPI 1.4.2 (released 2 days ago), gcc 4.4.3 (g++, gfortran).
All on Fedora Core 12, kernel 2.6.32.11-99.fc12.x86_64 #1 SMP.
The machine is a white box with two-way
quad-core Intel Xeon (Nehalem) E5540 @ 2.53GHz, 48GB RAM.
Hyperthreading is currently turned on.

But please, don't spend more time on this.
You already gave a lot of help.

I guess this would be fixed if I could reinstall the OS
using a more stable Linux distribution, not Fedora.
You and Jeff reported that your
Nehalems get along with Open MPI.
I would guess other people have functional Open MPI + Nehalem systems.
All I can think of is that some mess with the OS/gcc is causing
the trouble here.

(Yes, to avoid trouble I always compile MPI
and applications with the same compiler set.
And keep a bunch of Open MPI builds to match our needs.)

Cheers,
Gus Correa