Subject: Re: [OMPI users] MPI_Bsend vs. MPI_Ibsend
From: Bill Rankin (Bill.Rankin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-06 10:33:38

Actually the 'B' in MPI_Bsend() specifies that it is a blocking *buffered* send. So if I remember my standards correctly, this call requires:

1) you will have to explicitly manage the send buffers via MPI_Buffer_[attach|detach](), and

2) the send will block until a corresponding receive is posted.

The MPI_Ibsend() is the immediate version of the above and will return w/o the requirement for the corresponding received. Since it is a buffered send the local data copy should be completed before it returns, allowing you to change the contents of the local data buffer. But there is no guaranty that the message has been send, so you should not reuse the send buffer until after verifying the completion of the send via MPI_Wait() or similar.

In your example, since MPI_Test() won't block, you can have a problem. Use MPI_Wait() instead or change your send buffer to one that is not being used.

-bill