Subject: [OMPI users] Run time error of openmpi 1.4.1
From: David Logan (david.logan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-04 19:37:48

Hi All,

I'm having problems withe openmpi 1.4.1 and am receiving the following
error message when I try to run a test job.

[root_at_hydra ~]# mpirun -n 2 --prefix `dirname $MPILIBDIR` -v
-show-progress -machinefile ./ -pernode ./dml_test
It looks like opal_init failed for some reason; your parallel process is
likely to abort. There are many reasons that a parallel process can
fail during opal_init; some of which are due to configuration or
environment problems. This failure appears to be an internal failure;
here's some additional information (which may only be relevant to an
Open MPI developer):

   opal_paffinity_base_select failed
   --> Returned value -13 instead of OPAL_SUCCESS
[hydra:10645] [[INVALID],INVALID] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Not found in file
runtime/orte_init.c at line 77
[hydra:10645] [[INVALID],INVALID] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Not found in file
orterun.c at line 541

I have built openmpi with the following configure options

./configure --with-gm=/usr/local/gm

and it appears to build correctly, finds the right libraries and
generally doesn't have too much of a problem.

This was built on

Linux hydra 2.6.18-164.el5 #1 SMP Thu Sep 3 03:33:56 EDT 2009 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux

and after reading the docs, trawling the archives, I can't find much
that resembles the errors noted above.

Does anybody have any idea or pointers on where to look or what to debug?

Thanks and regards

David Logan
eResearch SA, ARCS Grid Administrator
Level 1, School of Physics and Chemistry
North Terrace, Adelaide, 5005
(W) 08 8303 7301
(M) 0458 631 117