Subject: Re: [OMPI users] How to debug Open MPI programs with gdb
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-22 12:19:27

I don't think the "debugger" option to mpirun will work with gdb - I believe it is intended to work with parallel debuggers such as Totalview. Looking at the code, I certainly can't see how gdb would work correctly with it.

There is an mpirun option "-xterm" which will launch the xterm windows automatically for you, but that doesn't resolve your problem as it basically does what you are doing manually.

It is unclear why you can't run gdb this way on a remote computer. Is something wrong with xterm? Do you not have an xterm client running on your remote computer?