Subject: Re: [OMPI users] openMPI configure/Installing problem on Macwithgnu-gcc-4.4.3 / gnu-gcc-4.5
From: Baowei Liu (bliu520_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-16 12:05:11

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 6:28 AM, Jeff Squyres <jsquyres_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Apr 15, 2010, at 10:09 PM, Baowei Liu wrote:
>
> > Thanks a lot for your reply, Jeff! I think I figure out why I got this
> trouble but am still looking for a way to work around it. The Mac I have has
> a 64-bit processor but its kernel is 32-bit. When I installed gnu-gcc, it
> identified the architecture as x86_64--I cannot install it if I force it to
> be i386. But the OMPI treat the arch as i386. If I try to force it to be
> x86_64, I got the problem I mentioned before....
>
> I'm not sure I understand the issue -- are you saying that gcc can't create
> executables? I.e., does this not work:
>
> -----
> % cat > hello.c <<EOF
> #include <stdio.h>
> int main(int argc, char* argv[]) {
> printf("Hello world\n");
> return 0;
> }
> EOF
> % gcc hello.c -o hello
> % ./hello
> Hello world
> %
> -----
>
> If that works, then you should just be able to do a default configure/make
> of Open MPI. If it doesn't work -- e.g., if the "hello" executable that is
> produced is not runnable on your machine, then you probably need to supply
> some additional flags to gcc. Once you figure out what those flags are,
> pass the same flags to Open MPI's configure.
>
> I'd be pretty surprised if the default gcc build doesn't work for you
> (e.g., the "hello world" example, above), though.
>
> --
> Jeff Squyres
> jsquyres_at_[hidden]

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I didn't make it clear..... When I run
config.guess of gcc, it gives me the x86_64 system. But when I run "uname
-a", it says it's i386. I think that's the reason OMPI complains about "more
than one -arch option (not allowed, use cc(1) instead)".

The new gcc can create executibals. I use it to compile my own c++ programs.
And I don't need special flags. I need a higher version of gcc than the
default one just because I cannot build a package (QE:Quantum Espresso) with
the default gcc -- QE uses OMPI. I can install OMPI with the default gcc.
I tried this:

1. install OMPI with default gcc and OMPI works fine.
2. install the new gcc and install the QE package, successfully.
3. mpirun stops working with eorror" cannot initialize"