Subject: Re: [OMPI users] MPI_TYPE_MAX
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-08 18:12:49

I don't think we have such an environment variable -- are you sure you're using Open MPI?

The only reference to MPI_TYPE_MAX I see in the OMPI source tree is in the ROMIO README file:

-----
* When using ROMIO with SGI MPI, you may sometimes get an error
message from SGI MPI: ``MPI has run out of internal datatype
entries. Please set the environment variable MPI_TYPE_MAX for
additional space.'' If you get this error message, add this line to
your .cshrc file:
    setenv MPI_TYPE_MAX 65536
Use a larger number if you still get the error message.
-----

On Apr 8, 2010, at 4:27 PM, Cole, Derek E wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I keep getting an error about running out of MPI_TYPE_MAX and needing to set the environment variable higher. What is this, and why is it happening? All of the types and groups, etc that I create during my programs run are freed at the appropriate times. Making this number 10x bigger gets me about 10x more iterations..and I heard someone say to just set it to a huge number, but I hate doing stuff like that blindly.
>
> Derek

For corporate legal information go to: