Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Hide Abort output
From: Richard Treumann (treumann_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-06 14:31:25

The MPI standard says that MPI_Abort makes a "best effort". It also says
that an MPI implementation is free to lose the value passed into MPI_Abort
and deliver some other RC..

The standard does not say that MPI_Abort becomes a valid way to end a
parallel job if it is passed a zero.

To me it seems pretty clear the name MPI_Abort is was chosen to imply

I think modifying the standard to be explicit about what must happen when
MPI_Abort is passed zero would be an option. It is a ugly one in my view
but it would give this kind of application the equivalent of MPI_Quit.

Right now, someone who passes a zero to MPI_Abort would have a hard time
claiming his application is valid.

Dick Treumann - MPI Team
IBM Systems & Technology Group
Dept X2ZA / MS P963 -- 2455 South Road -- Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
Tele (845) 433-7846 Fax (845) 433-8363

  From: "Terry Frankcombe" <terry_at_[hidden]>
  To: "Open MPI Users" <users_at_[hidden]>
  Date: 04/06/2010 01:33 PM
  Sent by: users-bounces_at_[hidden]

> Jeff -
> I started a discussion of MPI_Quit on the MPI Forum reflector. I raised
> the question because I do not think using MPI_Abort is appropriate.
> The situation is when a single task decides the parallel program has
> arrived at the desired answer and therefore whatever the other tasks are
> currently doing has become irrelevant. The other tasks do not know that
> the answer has been found by one of them so they cannot just call
> MPI_Finalize.
> Do we need a clean and portable way for the task that detects that the
> answer has been found and written out to do a single handed termination
> the parallel job?

I'm not Jeff. But isn't that MPI_Abort with an appropriate errorcode
argument, provided we can get it to shut up?

users mailing list